Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tebow and Tacos

Since this past Sunday the menu in my house for tonight has been set. We will have taco soup, tostitos scoops, an assortment of cheeses, and dessert. And should the Broncos pull off another upset today we'll be eating it again next weekend, too. I know some of you are thinking we would be wise to eat slowly today and savor every bite.

I have had three favorite NFL teams in my life.

Fave team #1: The Pittsburg Steelers. I was given a Steelers' jersey for Christmas when I was in the 5th grade. I can't remember the player, though I am thinking it may have been Franco Harris or John Stallworth because it seems the number 2 was part of the jersey number. Of course, I guess it could have been 12 for Terry Bradshaw. Like I said, I don't remember. I do remember feeling pretty cool wearing it.

Fave team #2: The Chicago Bears. This was strictly due to a teen crush on their "punky QB". I thought the sunglass-wearing, headbanded Jim McMahon was a Cute.E.Pie. Does anyone remember the "Superbowl Shuffle"? So, from the fall of '84 until the fall of '88 I was a Bear. Then I went and fell in love.

Fave team #3: The Denver Broncos. This love affair began by association (my husband John has been a Broncos fan since 1977). I remember John sending me roses the day after his Broncos beat my Bears in 1987 and referencing the game on the card. I still have it (the card) in a box somewhere in the garage.

Well, when we married the following year I thought it best that we not be a house divided and I changed my loyalties. After all, he had been a Broncos' fan much longer (and for better reasons) than I had been a Bears' fan.

I must admit our, well my, interest has somewhat waned in the years since Elway retired but now, thanks to Mr. Tebow, I have renewed vigor in supporting the guys from the mile high city. He may never, ever, ever be a quarterback the caliber of ol' #7 but I like the kid!

And so we will eat Taco soup and hope for another awesome game.


P.S. As of 10:00 p.m. CST, taco soup will NOT be on the menu anytime soon. :(

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Enjoy that taco soup AND the game :)

Tire Swing Mom said...

Thanks, Michelle. The soup was great. The game...not so great :(